My word, it took me forever to come up with a theme this week! However, I did find one, and this week’s titles are all about dad, if you’re still looking for a gift to give him this Sunday:
- Super Strong Manly Mints. They don’t have an entry in our database, but we do sell them (at least, I know we do in Den Haag), along with After-Therapy Mints and Morning After Mints. Warning: not for girlie-men (according to the tin).
- Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell. Now out in paperback! Best-selling Bernard Cornwell’s latest offering, looking at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. Note, this book is called Agincourt in the US.
- Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behavior by Geoffrey Miller. Brand-spanking-new, this title. It’s all about how our subconscious need to advertise ourselves to the rest of the world (as a good mate or a good friend) influences what we buy.
- Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. Explores the connections between – you guessed it – Gödel, Escher, and Bach to shed light on how humans think. Not for the faint of heart, but as it’s one of our Evergreens, and thus nicely priced, it’s worth trying.
- Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar…: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein. Excellent book, with a fresh approach to a subject that has a bit of a dusty reputation. See also Aristotle and an Aardvark Go to Washington about political doublespeak.