ABC’s booksellers don’t just sell books: as well as being voracious readers, almost all ABC staff members are personally responsible for buying the books for one or more sections in the stores. That means you’ll always find someone who can put exactly the right book in your hands when you need it. We asked our buyers for their tips for the best gifts for the upcoming holiday season, and they came up with some great ones: new books, classic books, magazines, games, merchandise, and stationery.
Archive for the ‘Sports’ Category
For me, the Summer Olympics have something magical about them. Probably because, at the impressionable age of 11ish, I stumbled upon 16 Days of Glory, a documentary about the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. It follows various Olympic hopefuls during their competitions, who and what inspired them to become athletes, and shows if they won a medal, competed to the best of their ability, or ended the day in heartbreak. I was mesmerized – I must have watched the whole documentary 10 times – and the Olympics have remained special to me ever since.
You can possibly imagine the excitement building in my house with the 2012 London Olympics mere weeks away. Granted, it hasn’t reached BBC levels, but, unfortunately for my family, I’m getting there.. My colleagues have come up with some great Olympian tips for you to read, and I hope they will entice you to watch the incredible sporting feats on offer a month away. Swifter, higher, stronger!
History, Facts & Lists
- The Victor’s Crown: Greek and Roman Sport from Homer to Byzantium – D. S. Potter
- How to Watch the Olympics: The Essential Guide to the Rules, Statistics, Heroes, and Zeroes of Every Sport – David Goldblatt and Johnny Acton
- Amazing & Extraordinary Facts – The Olympics – Stephen Halliday
- The Book of Olympic Lists – David Wallechinsky and David Loucky
- The Complete Book of the Olympics: 2012 Edition – David Wallechinsky and David Loucky
- There will also be a number of special Olympics editions of magazines coming out in the next month. Keep a watch on our magazines page for these, or else call the one of the stores near the time of the Opening Ceremony (July 27th) to find out what has come in.
Five Recently Arrived Titles from the Sports Section:
You’ve been invited round to dinner at someone’s home. Your host is busy in the kitchen and you wait in the living room. What do you do to pass the time? Admit it: you snoop around their bookshelves don’t you? We know you love shelf snooping just as much as we do, and now you can check out all sorts of bookshelves via the ABC blog.
If you’d like to show off your shelves, e-mail Femke@abc.nl. If we use your bookcase, we’ll give you a ten euro American Book Center gift voucher
ABC snoops around Kees Wijdekop’s bookshelves
Kees Wijdekop is a sports fan. And he loves baseball. But he’s not just a regular baseball fan: in 1973 he was a pitcher for the Dutch baseball team in the World Cup in Cuba! (more…)